Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A little Venting

I'm just going to vent here for a minute. I noticed this article on Yahoo just a minute ago

DALLAS (AP) -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens tried to kill himself by overdosing on pain medication, even putting two more pills into his mouth after a friend intervened, according to a police report obtained Wednesday.

What a sad situation. It's bad enough that the poor man has to have it blabbed all over the news, then I see this further into the article

Watson and fire department spokesman Joel Lavender cited privacy laws for the lack of information they could provide. Lavender said more details could come from the 911 call. The Associated Press filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act to get the contents of the call


Why would the AP be allowed to hear the 911 call?? What in the WORLD makes them think they are entitled to that information?! Are we so bored with ourselves that we need to pry so deeply into someone elses pain? I don't know anything about this guy except that he is an awesome football player. I don't need to know why he attempted suicide, how many pills he took, what his buddy said to the 911 operator and neither do the rest of us! This is yet another example of the press usurping our privacy. They claim the right to free speech, what about his right to have an emergency without the free world knowing all the details?! Does the press' right to invade our lives override our right to keep things to ourselves? How ridiculous!

They do this with all the celebrity babies, celebrity romances, Politician's personal lives. It's disgusting, and yet nothing happens. You know why? Because we keep buying the magazines and reading the articles, and buying into every little piece of questionable and sometimes biased information they put out there as truth.

I don't know about you but I've had enough.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Alicia, we're such freaks! I just said nearly the same exact words to my mother. We, as a whole, have let it get completely out of control. It's the Anna Nicole Smith story with her son dying that's about to push me over the edge. We have no right to hear any of this information. It's none of my business!! I don't want my intimate information blabbed all over the place, so I'm going to respect the privacy of those who obviously don't have a choice.